Five Reasons to Watch Ga-Rei Zero

1. A Natsuki look-alike named Natsuki

2. Fire-Breathing Dinosaurs

3. Evil Lesbians

4. Mr. Iron

5. In Medias Res

In medias res, also medias in res (Latin for “into the middle of things”), is a literary and artistic technique where the narrative starts in the middle of the story instead of from its beginning. – Wikipedia

But Baka-Raptor, that sounds a lot like flashbacks

Trust me, they’re totally different. Flashbacks are bullshit. In medias res is the perfect way to tell a story:

• Berserk
  • Claymore
  • Tenjho Tenge
  • Gungrave

But Baka-Raptor, if In Medias Res is so great, why don’t more people use it?

Because people are idiots. It’s the same reason why no RPG copied combo techniques from Chrono Trigger, even though it’s the only way to make a turn-based battle system any fun. It also had a fire-breathing dinosaur. Why can’t all video games be perfect like Chrono Trigger?

UPDATE: Mrs. Can of Liquid Wrench Penetration Oil?

Tags: , , ,

1. i’ve been on teh fence about even starting ga-rei zero, but fire breathing dinosaurs just sealed the deal for me. plus to see Mr. Iron in an anime! That’s truly great marketing!

2. bakaneko says:

> In medias res is the perfect way to tell a story:

You should’ve started your post with point #5.

3. IcyStorm says:

YAY A POST ON BAKA-RAPTOR THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OH!

4. FFVIIKnight says:

If not an iron, Yomi could have used that giant boiler… somehow…

And yes, Yomi x Kagura is delicious.

5. dood says:

You had me at hello.

evil lesbians, I’m so there.

You forgot that the dinosaur was made of CG and ROLLING.

I fail to see how a game with character and monster design by Toriyama can be completely perfect.

Great, now that I’m REwatching Mai Hime. Natsuki’s sexy. But she didn’t die in the first episode. I did not really watch the first episode and I just jumped to episode 2. Then after that I forgot about it.

After I get over this backlog of shows, I’ll get back to Ga-Rei.

9. It still doesnt convince me to watch that shit.

@Dancing Queen: It’s Mr. Iron’s biggest role since Fooly Cooly.

@bakaneko: But all those sentences might’ve scared readers away. I’d rather have readers drop the post at point 5 than point 1.

@IcyStorm: I detect sarcasm in your comment.

@FFVIIKnight: I was kinda disappointed she turned down the chainsaw.

@dood: Evil lesbians are the best kind of lesbians, and the best kind of evil.

@Omisyth: I didn’t want to make this post tl;dr. Trust me, I could write 1000 words on the dinosaurs.

@LJ: Ignore the official art and the bullshit OVA. The characters look fine during gameplay.

@Rakuen: Watch the last minute of the first episode, the last 5 or so minutes of the second episode, and then skip straight to the backstory (episodes 3+). Not that the action is bad or anything; it’s just not the show’s hook. Though I’m suprised, a few people prefer the action to the backstory.

@Kairu: Did I say evil lesbians and fire-breathing dinosaurs? I meant magical girls and ponies. I think you’ll like it now.

11. Zyl says:

3. Evil Lesbians

OKAY, POCKY!!!

12. TheBigN says:

She’s not evil till they explain what when down. πŸ™

But yes. Ga-Rei Zero is awesome, and more people should watch it.

13. “Because people are idiots. It’s the same reason why no RPG copied combo techniques from Chrono Trigger…”

F***ing so true. Why has it been over a decade since Chrono Trigger came out and no one has made a RPG battle system not even as good, nevermind better? I bitch about that all the time when talking about J-RPGs.

Natsuki clone, dinosaurs, and lesbians! I guess I’ll have to give Ga-Rei Zero a try now.

14. rollchan says:

evil lesbians?

Now I have a reason to watch this.

thanks.

@Zyl: Pocky is a well known lesbian aphrodisiac. It works almost as well as global warming. No wonder they were getting it on in a Hummer.

@TheBigN: You make it sound like evil is a bad thing.

@Michael | Low in Hit Points: WHY DON’T MORE GAMES DO THIS?! I’d rather have three characters combine for an Omega Flare than have them each cast Ultima/Meteor/Knights-of-the-Round/some other boring spell.

@rollchan: You’re welcome.

16. kanzeon says:

Natsuki is awesome. Oww I miss the first batch of characters T.T… This show is awesome. Yomi is awesome too, but Douglas18 is the most awesome of them all.

@kanzeon: Actually, it’s Douglas 28. Look closely.

18. Gargron says:

Aha, so it starts in the middle of the story… I was kinda “wtf” when the staff got massacred in the first ep. Evil lesbians, really?! I need to watch it lol

My dear sir, it appears you’re still stuck asking yourself why that mechanic wasn’t picked up. What, did you roll a 1 on your wisdom check? I KNOW your insight is more acute than that.
    The combination techniques failed to become particularly notable (read: sparkly and made of overkill) until moderately late in the game, that is, after the point where imitators stop paying attention.

There’s a lesson to be learned there. Let’s hope you don’t botch your roll this time.

20. So when’re you going to auction off Mr. Iron as a priceless Ga-Rei-Zero collectible?

21. Actually I start this because of the Natsuki look-alike and after she died, I stayed for the yuri.

Came for the Gore. Came to Yuri.

23. @ Baka-Raptor

My friends and I bitch about game industry deficiencies like that all the time. It’s like a god-damn pastime for us. It’s one of the reasons I spend far more time watching anime than playing games nowadays. Oh, and that video you linked to has some quality seamless editing. That’s a rarity on YouTube (now in HD!!).

Going even further off topic, I love how I write my comments in a word editor to make sure my spelling is accurate, and then I go ahead and misspell my own freaking handle in my previous post. Doh!

24. rollchan says:

ouch… only episode 4 for the lesbian thingy… and wait Yomi is engaged.

but, she’s a murderer now… harr….

she’s still an Evil Lesbo, though… damn those sesshousekis for corrupting her! πŸ˜€

@Gargon: This series is a prequel to the Ga-Rei manga, which I know nothing about, so I have no idea where in the storyline any of this takes place.

@LJ: First, you should know by now that I don’t get these jokes. Second, combos are useful early on, if not for sparkles and overkill, for range (e.g. fire whirl against the Naga-ettes). There’s a lesson to be learned here. Don’t question me.

@A Day Without Me: When the US dollar bottoms out. Cash isn’t a strong investment at the moment.

@The Sojourner: So did I. I picked up the show because lelangir sent me those Natsuki screenshots.

@Shin: But the yuri scene barely lasted 5 seconds…

@Michael | Low on Hit Points: I appreciate the effort. You’d be surprised how many spelling mistakes show up in these comments even though my comment box has a spellchecker.

@rollchan: Are you calling me a liar?

Chrono Trigger RULES !!
    And fire breathing Dinosaurs too !!!
    Too bad baka-raptor just “pretend” he can breath fire…otherwise it would be awesome !

27. rollchan says:

@Baka-Rapster:

NOooo! You’ve awaken me by showing me the truth! Now, Ga-Rei-Zero- is back on my list after totally dropping it.

Thanks! n____n

28. […] 29, 2008 Evil Lesbians. That’s what Baka-Raptor said that is worth watching in […]

It wouldn’t make you any less of a man to say “I have no idea what you’re babbling about”, when that is indeed the case.
    Now, before I’m lanced through the chest with yet another confrontational retort wrought from feverish chagrin, I’ll get to work.
    Anime and video games are not highbrow affairs. They aren’t even lowbrow affairs. These affairs shave off their eyebrows and bleach their hair. Every once in a while, some rogue producer decides to rise above his station, because after all, they aren’t in that industry just for the money, and consequently, applies some actual technique and ends up producing something that could finally be called art. However, you can’t expect the others to identify what made that production such a critical success. You can only hope that, in their mad looter’s rampage, they scavenge the right parts when they build their own constructs.
    This is a crapshoot.
    You see dual techs with your playthrough, they see active time battle bars filling up with their cursory glance.
    You see in media res, they see HOLY JESUS WHERE’S THE CHARACTER INTRODUCTIONS.

@Laguna: Chrono Trigger changed my life. One of the things that got me into anime was a CT/Ranma crossover fanfic called Halftime (GET IT?!). I thought the Ranma characters were original to the author (which explains why I wasn’t immediately repulsed). Eventually I found out that Ranma was an anime, and I found out I could download episodes if I headed to IRC. The rest is history…

@rollchan: It’s rewarding to know I’m making a difference.

@LJ: I accept your apology.

Damn it, I thought I commented here …

Um. Shit, this I must download.

32. Arekou says:

Oh yes. Ga Rei Zero is a must watch. I love it so much. After the first episode I was a bit iffy about it, but the Evil Lesbians hooked me. :]

33. picchar says:

I watched because of numbers 1(Natsuki) and 2(Battle sce– I mean fire breathing dinosaurs).

I stayed because of numbers 4(iron = weapon… right… i.e. humor) and 5 (I wanted to know the events that lead up to ep. 1… though I thought it would focus on those characters and not these two… I like Yomi ^_^ Not Kagura. She stole my Pocky).

I left because of 3. Well, not really but I got tired of the two of them. I thought it would be different. I had high hopes from ep 1, but I might go back now that they’ve jumped back to the present.

Might.

34. expendable says:

OMG their finally back to ep 2 at the end of episode 10 :S

But y havent the translation been keeping up XD

Want to see more Evil Yomi action πŸ˜›

@Michael: You didn’t. I haven’t censored your comments in a while.

@Arekou: Same here. I order my points in chronological order (sort of), but based on value to the show, Evil Lesbians is #1.

@picchar: They need to be all close and gay for each other for the evil to have the greatest impact.

@expendable: I was about to join in your bitching about slow subs, but episode 9 was just released.

36. […] got killed by an evil lesbian. Perhaps lesbians aren’t so great after […]

37. […] Musuko (01-03): J159 called it to a T in the preview. Starting in the middle has worked very well for me, a non-manga reader, as I enjoy drawing the various inferences about […]