Dissecting the K-ON Ending

I shall start with a base score of zero. Every time I see something I like, I’ll add a point. Every time I see something I don’t like, I’ll subtract a point.

Score (S) Meaning
S > 5 Love it
5 >= S >= 2 Like it
2 > S > -2 Indifferent
-2 >= S >=-5 Dislike it
-5 > S Hate it

1. Lyrics

Where have I heard those lyrics before? -1

Now for the Japanese lyrics (translations taken from subtitles):

If there’s a shortcut, it’s the best route

Inconsistent lyrics. Whatever happened to not being lazy? -1

However, I approve of laziness. +1

Crap, I broke a nail!

Great, another song about nails. -1

I’ll fix it with glue.

Manly. +1

What’s important is to take good care of yourself

It’s true. +1

If you can’t love yourself, then you can’t love someone else

Big deal. -1

Skilled hawks hide their talons

Hawks kick ass. +1

Current Score: 0

2. Fashion

Sleek. +1

Earrings don’t match the dress. -1

Yui and Mio’s dresses make them look pregnant. -2

Current Score: -2

3. Animation

The scene where they explode is hot +1

Mio: TOO MUCH FACIAL MOVEMENT -1

The bunny: -1 for pedophilia, +1 for comedy

Current Score: -3

4. Music

Instruments: Typical pop beat that’s catchy at first and will inevitably irritate me after two weeks. Currently Day 12. +1

Vocals: Solid +1

Current Score: -1

5. Timing

Consistent at 22:20. +1

FINAL GRADE: 0 (Indifferent)

Overall, the song is pretty good, the animation sucks, and I’ll never want to see this ending again in approximately three days. My old karui ongaku band was far superior:

Tags:

1. ROFL on your srs bsns fashion evaluation. Mugi’s earings went for a match with the hair, not the dress. It still fails though.

2. kanzeon says:

You didn’t judged Mio’s awesome hat that never falls off!

If it’s shiny, I will like it. This ending is shiny.

4. RP says:

lol @ at the green earrings. and i didn’t hadn’t noticed the hentai rabbit either.

@Kairu: Didn’t notice. Seems that my mangekyou sharingan only applies to lesbian scenes. Did IcyStorm write about this? Can’t seem to find it.

@ghostlightning: I’d go with pearl earrings: they’re elegant, match the monochrome dress, and suit the orb shape.

@kanzeon: You mean the hat’s actually for her? It’d be a better fit for one of her soon-to-be octuplets.

@Omisyth: For a moment I thought you were quoting the song. Seems like something they’d sing about.

@RP: Got your eyes on a new mascot?

6. NegativeZero says:

You forgot to subtract 10 points for the presence of a keytar outside a late 80s music video. Those things are so lame they should be outlawed.

You took off points for the listless playing? That’s where I added on MUGEN NO POINTO (srry weeaboo moment)

Oh, and I missed this before – Negativezero, 1. this is styled after an 80s video and 2. Keytars are the best fucking thing in the universe.

9. TheBigN says:

“Yui, Tsumugi, and Ritsu: Too mechanical (contrast their movement, especially Yui’s, with Mio’s movement in the above scene). -1”

This was one of the reasons why I couldn’t take the ED seriously. It’s like an emo music video with Mio as the main focus. 😛

10. kadian1364 says:

So are you going to learn the drums soon or what?

And that youtube video… Must be close to 15 years since I’ve last seen it. A blast from the past in more ways than one!

11. Eroshiyda says:

Hm, score of zero, eh? Sounds mediocre. Maybe I’ll check it out when I run out of lesbians to grope.

12. Qwerty says:

It’s almost amazing how you find irrelevant things to review stuff. Maybe all bloggers have this skill?

13. IcyStorm says:

Nah, I didn’t post about those two pictures. I just tweeted about it.

I can always count on Baka-Raptor to make me laugh…

14. Amex_Yohko says:

Yay for the perverted bunny!(but boo for the pedophilia)

Baka-Raptor joins the fashion police. LOL.

Holy Raptor-Crap ! I Could Guess The Score Just Seeing The Title Of The Page ! lol 😀

17. Roy Mustang says:

The bunny: -1 for pedophilia, +1 for comedy

I’m sorry, but how in god’s name did the bunny not get a +5? Pedobunny = Win

18. purelyshin says:

No comments on Mio retching up technocolored notes? This and Pregnant dress aside…I seem to be developing a a crush. Oh silly latent lesbian tendencies.

19. Sorrow-kun says:

Stealing lyrics from the Simpsons should be a plus, not a minus. But you can’t compare the K-On girls to the band that sung “Mesozoic Mind”. That’s just a completely unfair comparison. (Oh man, that song takes me back).

@NegativeZero & digitalboy: This is the first time I’ve seen a keytar (I don’t watch 80s music videos). After careful deliberation, I determine that keytars blow.

@TheBigN: Thankfully I’ve never seen an emo music video 🙂

@kadian1364: Too close to call. The poll is still open with drums leading bass by one.

@Eroshiyda: I don’t know of any new lesbian anime this season. Queen’s Blade has a lot of naked women, but only one displays lesbian tendencies.

@Qwerty: Other bloggers certainly nail the irrelevant part…

@IcyStorm: Twitter is for losers

@Amex_Yohko & Roy Mustang: I cannot condone pedophilia, even if it’s from a cute wittle bunny wabbit.

@Rakuen:

@Laguna: Have I really become that predictable? I was originally thinking if giving it -1’s all the way.

@purelyshin: Allow me to introduce you to Eroshiyda

@Sorrow-kun: Copying is fine as long as the copyier is better than the original. Between these two, I’m of the opinion that Dr. Zaius is the better song.

21. RP says:

@Baka-Raptor: Ha. Don’t tempt me.

22. Eroshiyda says:

@Baka-Raptor: Bitchin’. I may check that one out, too…

@purelyshin: Oh hai, I’m Eroshiyda. ^_^

@Baka-Raptor (again): I wasn’t aware that this was a dating site.

23. purelyshin says:

@Eroshiyda: Sorry Ero, I bat for the overrated generic vanilla team. Doesn’t mean we can’t still be friends?

@Baka-Raptor: Why do I get the feeling that you just wanted to watch.

@Eroshiyda: Don’t take purelyshin too seriously. She’s such a tsundere.

@purelyshin: How dare you use the f-word on this site?

To make it easier for cosplayers to mimic the girls’ actions, they can’t have it too elaborate. That’s what I think anyway.

26. Eroshiyda says:

@purelyshin: I’m always looking for girl friends. (Notice the space between “girl” and “friends.” That’s serious business.)

@Baka-Raptor: I think I may be an even bigger tsundere than purelyshin. I never take anyone seriously. And I mean that in the best possible way.

27. purelyshin says:

@Eroshiyda: Does that mean we can’t still have pillow fights?

@Baka-Raptor: Friends? or Feelings? I know, both are toxic to raptors due to their inverse relationship with manliness. Pardon my transgression.

@Shin: True, mimicking their proportions is tough enough.

@Eroshiyda & purelyshin: You’ll need to videotape your pillow fights so I can determine whether you’re crossing the line between girl friends and girlfriends.

29. lelangir says:

Apparently, your dinosaur band is good enough to play guitar-shaped pieces of cardboard…and make real guitar sounds too!

@lelangir: The main advantage to playing cardboard instruments is that you don’t need to plug them it into the amps.

31. Aizen says:

Now, if those dinosaurs were to be a part of K-ON I might just watch episode 2. I want the lolis to be devoured.

32. Gargron says:

Great. I wouldn’t stay at null points, I would give a negative rating. You saved it be timing, man. Does it matter whether one episode lasts 21 minutes and the other 23?

@Aizen: Dinosaurs couldn’t save Air. I doubt they could save K-ON.

@Gargon: Timing definitely matters. If I want to listen to the ending, I’ll open a random K-ON episode and skip to 22:20. Piece of cake. If the timing is off, I’ll either have to memorize the ending times for different episodes or open the same episode each time.

34. […] for the visuals, I like anything that’s shiny so I immediately fell in love with it, but I could also see why Omo calls it gimmicky; […]

35. animekritik says:

Dresses that make you look pregnant are fashionable now, in the East anyway.

36. […] else about the ED sequence leaves me feeling indifferent for the same reasons that a certain friendly neighborhood blogosaur points out in his […]

37. […] leave the fashion critiquing to the experts, but Sawako’s designs for the K-ON group looked fantastic. No pregnant dresses, no mismatched […]

38. Archer says:

Since the girls are teenagers, it would be Hebephilia not Pedophilia.

39. SandySuu says:

Perhaps you didn’t notice … but Tsumugi’s green earrings match her green tights (and I think that Mio and Yui’s dresses are so cute). In my opinion, the ending is fantasic. I love it.
    Sorry my bad english… ;P
    See you!

40. Katrina says:

Wow, I sure hope this whole “rating the video” thing is sarcastic because it sounds like a elementary school boy did it. The girls are suppose to be dressed somewhat lolita and flashy on purpose. The colored accessories they wear are suppose to be a pop of color to offset the black and white outfits. The animation is meant to look more drawn, therefore not perfect. I love the animation and the song.

41. thatguy says:

if you recount the score wouldnt it be positive 3? or do my math skills suck that much ._.
    also i thought this ending was awesome one of my favorites i mostly liked the animation and how it fits so well with the song so i watch the whole ending every time i watch K-on