RaptorCon 2008

I was planning to report on Anime Weekend Atlanta, but Hoshi broke her sacred vow to suck up to me by not finding me a place to stay.

Luckily, I discovered another convention right in town! Best of all, it was conveniently located in my new apartment (not this overpriced dump). I hopped into my Strike Witches costume and headed to all the fantastic events! First up was Video Room #1:

They were showing some boring anime called Lucky Star. Even my camera couldn’t keep its focus. Struggling to maintain my consciousness, I stumbled over to Video Room #2 to watch a show that would cause slightly less brain-damage: Detroit Metal City!

Then I won a karaoke contest by singing Nano Desu, the catchiest song in the universe and the reason I haven’t updated all week.

[vid]AjNPeKgLnC8[/vid]

I rushed off to spend my winnings at the Dealers Room:

What great bargains! I even had money left over to buy some Aria doujinshi at the Artists Alley!

Then I took on Sephiroth in the Game Room.

I could’ve beaten him easily, but I didn’t want anyone else to get jealous of my insane skills, so I lost on purpose. Besides, I didn’t want to be late for late-night adults-only special…

My main complaint about other conventions is they haven’t had Ribs & Cake. Would RaptorCon be more of the same? Hell no!

In conclusion, RaptorCon 2008 was the greatest anime convention of all time, and I’m totally not sore that I missed Anime Weekend Atlanta.

Tags: , , , ,

1. shirokiryuu says:

Don’t think anything will every surpass the greatness of this con.
    Next time we need some interviews we the guests of honor.

=) this made me smile

2. CCY says:

Free admission and no annoying weeaboos either, right right? And I’m SO jealous that you managed to get your hands on one of the few copies of Liquid Wrench merchandise out there – and a figurine of Penetrating Oil as well, arguably one of its best characters. So moe~

Hopefully it will be popular enough for a second year. I greatly enjoyed your recap of it.

3. Leviathean says:

Shit, I’d go to this con. The meals provided and video-game skills showoff are the selling points for me.

4. Hoshi says:

oh my gawwwwwwddddd, I’m sorrryyyy!! T____T

Next year, next year, okay? I don’t have an apartment right now, and I live an hour to an hour+half away. But if it makes you feel any better: there was no ribs and cake, and no “Scar, Harima Kenji, Maid Guy, Detroit Metal City, or Aria cosplayers” that I saw. (I saw Dante, if you want the OTHER DMC) :P and MOSTLY Lulu and his crew, Gurren-Lagann peoples, Bleach peoples, Naruto peoples.. and well, you’ll get a post on it soon.

Hahah..RaptorCon 2008 only had one guest. It’s better because you won’t be boring waiting in the lines :)

6. wow what amazing deals in the exhibit hall! i’m bummbed i didn’t know it was going on! I would have gone! Rubs and cake just make the con so much better!

7. wow i make such terrible typos when i’m typing too fast…

8. Patz says:

That looks like some kick ass Con. Honestly all cons need more Cake. Also I gotta say those are much better deals then I got at Otakon that’s for sure.

9. Os says:

I’ll give you $2 for that iron. I need one.

10. berkles says:

lawlz no one fucks with the sephiroth

also if cons served ribs and cake i would prolly go much more often

11. issa-sa says:

RIBS AND CAKE (I would’ve been ther just for the cake, but RIBS…)

12. biankita says:

this has been bothering me since you showed it on talk-a-raptor… what is penetrating oil???

13. Nagato says:

Raptor-Con sure does have congruity. The Video Room looks almost exactly the same as the Game Room!

@shirokiryuu: Just wait until RaptorCon 2009.

@CCY: No yaoi paddles either!

@Leviathean: And to think I would’ve missed it all if I’d gone to Atlanta.

@Hoshi: Sorry? You have nothing to be sorry about; I had a great time at RaptorCon! Let’s just hope RaptorCon and AWA aren’t scheduled on the same weekend next yer.

@Laguna: Not only were there no lines, I also got an exclusive behind-the-scenes VIP pass!

@Dancing Queen: Nothing to be ashamed about. I like Rubs and Cake just as much as the next person.

@Patz: At $4, Mrs. Can of Liquid Wrench Penetration Oil was actually pretty close to the actual retail price. Tidus and Mr. Iron might seem like bargains, but Tidus’s sword is broken and Mr. Iron is starting to lean.

@OS: $3 – take it or leave it.

@berkles: Just watch, every con around the world will rip off my idea to serve Ribs & Cake next year.

@issa-sa: Ribs: The other sugary delectables.

@biankita (if you’re watching EF): It’s exactly what it sounds like.

@biankita (if you’re not watching EF): …

@Nagato: Those were the cheapest monitors, desks, speakers, cell phones, mice, container of corporate-advertisement mints, and stacks of papers I could rent.

Dude, I want to go to raptorcon next year! I can run a yuri panel about 100% ShizNat!

also b-r it’s just occurring to me that you watch a decent amount of anime and own no DVDs : /

16. kanzeon says:

I’m needing that penetrating oil and that iron right now. Would there be any discount if I buy both?

17. Yamcha says:

*Insert played out comment about the cake*

Hoorah for Raptor-con! I’ll come next year crossplaying some Natsuki.

Why can’t I make the song stop? WHY?!

19. TheBigN says:

“My main complaint about other conventions is they haven’t had Ribs & Cake.”

Man, I would gladly come next year if they had that again. :P

20. Damn, why wasn’t I invited?

I’m glad to see that your amazing figure collection has remained intact during your move.

21. Kabitzin says:

No t-shirt with the con mascot?

22. P.S. Strike Witches costume? So you didn’t wear pants? Hmm…

23. I definitely made the effort for GeekPhilosocon this year, featuring marathons of Anime that don’t suck, Anime figures that I got from the display room up the road, and of course, pitting myself against the Noise playing The World Ends With You in the game room.

But even that doesn’t seem as awesome as your con, you had Detroit Metal City, whereas my associates couldn’t find a fansub of the new episodes.

Let me know when you visit Australia, I may be able to invite you to GeekPhilosocon then.

@digitalboy: Give me two years. Then I’ll be rich and I can buy all the DVDs I want (and even some I don’t want). I’ll also get some figures, posters, and maybe a few maids.

@kanzeon: Yes, but they’ll be shipped separately.

@Yamcha: If Shizuru rapes you and finds out you’re really a dude, things could get ugly… *Insert played out response to cake*

@Omisyth: Sorry, I couldn’t help it.

@TheBigN: Next year I might switch from cake to cheese tarts.

@Kabitzin: The supply chain was disrupted to due to Hurricane Ike. They should arrive in 3-5 days.

@A Day Without Me: What makes you think I wasn’t dressed as a male character?

@Asperger’s: I’m planning my world tour for 2010.

25. @ Baka-Raptor – I’m still trying to decide whether the response of ‘Wishful thinking?’ is too creepy/inappropriate or not.

Someone is very bitter.

27. j.valdez says:

Video room #1 and the game room look suspiciously similar…hummm

@A Day Without Me: Creepy? Yes. Inappropriate? No.

@Michael: Yeah, everyone who didn’t get to come to RaptorCon!

@j.valdez: My response to your comment and my response to comment #13 could’ve looked suspiciously similar.

29. Hey. Where do you get all your ShizNat pictures?

30. Mark says:

you are so fucking awesome!

31. @ Baka-Raptor – YESSS I’ve reached a new low in my presence on the intertubery!

@The Sojourner: Years of extensive research. Check out this directory.

@Mark: Agreed.

33. C.I. says:

O BAKA-RAPTOR Y U SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE~

>>O BAKA-RAPTOR Y U SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE~

Correction: O BAKA-RAPTOR Y U SUCH A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSER~
    :P

35. soggywaffle says:

OH GREAT BAKA-RAPTOR-SAMAAAAAAAAAAA
    I DREW YOU A PICTURE AND WROTE YOU A MESSAGE
    LOOOOOOOOOK

36. [...] Whether I go depends largely upon the number of people willing to provide me with meals and transportation. If you’re interested in sucking up to me, fill out the same form as last year. [...]

37. [...] celebrities. Daicon had Chihara Minori. Almost every (actually, ALL) cons in Japan get a celebrity. Raptor Con’s got Baka-Raptor. Why no celebrity here? Actually there’s this rumor of inviting this [...]